Author Topic: Pionus beak on a 6 mth old blue Indian ringneck  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Shalah

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Pionus beak on a 6 mth old blue Indian ringneck
« on: March 18, 2013, 02:43:25 AM »
I everyone .. Ive found my way here after confusion as to what my handreared baby actually is. Yellow IRN mum and Blue IRN dad and Ive handreared from 3 days of age out of nest. Any idea how this could possibly happen?

Entree is a beautiful bird, extremely intelligent and strong willed and about 120gm.
This shows his yellow mum and dad ( on the wire).

Any explanations or ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
Re: Pionus beak on a 6 mth old blue Indian ringneck
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »
That is not a pionus beak! Your baby has a deformed beak and needs to see an avian vet as soon as possible. It could be that way from a nutritional deficiency.

Do you have access to a vet? Your baby is beautiful and so is your aviary. I hope you keep us updated with him, IRN's are great companions! 

Offline Shalah

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
Hi Dani, Thanks for your response. I have now taken Entree to an avian vet. She has said that he is very healthy, good skin, feathers etc and ate a vareity of food in front of her while at the vet. Entree did have a number of problems when he was young including fluid from the nostrils ( I raised him from a couple of days out of the egg) and the vet feels that the beak has been affected by stress during this early growth period. He has absolutely no other symptoms so she left it up to me if I still wanted to go ahead with more tests or see how he is doing after his current moulting.

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
I'm so glad you came back and updated us. Good for you keeping and caring for him. I'm sure he is a happy healthy boy, he looks perfect just has the deformed beak. Maybe the vet can do some filing to help the beak grow normally.

Thanks for the update.  :hello1:

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »

I agree, not a Pionus looking type of beak.  Most doubtful your bird has any Pionus in it.  Anyway, welcome aboard our site!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com