Author Topic: Rio is back, and blue and two!  (Read 4577 times)

Offline silverwolfnykia

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Rio is back, and blue and two!
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »
Hello everyone!  :hello1: I have been away for almost a year now because I spent some time up north working with wolves for my schooling. Rio is still as cute as a button and I can hardly believe he is two years old! He is doing wonderfully and loves to travel, go outside in his harness, and sing to his "brother" (our African Grey, Murphy). He is hormonal this year and I have caught him pionus "strutting" all over his rope perches. Everything from a blanket to a crack in the pillows on the couch is a potential nest site lol. I always brag how good of a birdy husband he would be, hehe. I am happy to announce as well that he is in training to become a licensed therapy bird so that I can take him to visit the elderly. Not everyone can handle a dog or cat due to allergies and he is such a sweet bird I wanted to share him. Here are a few photos of Mr. Rio. Sorry if they are blurry, he is busy lol.

Here is his brother, Murphy

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Rio is back, and blue and two!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:47:30 AM »
Just seeing this. A therapy bird - what a wonderful way to give. He is so handsome. Really appreciate update. Sounds like wonderful pi. My baby is 1 year so I look forward to hormones....hoping training will get us through
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Ditto, Maxsmom, not sure how I missed this post.  Silverwolfnykia, what a wonderful thing to do with Rio!  Please post more if you have the time.  What are you doing to help him get certified as a therapy bird?  Did you take your birds with you when you did your wolf work?
We certainly have some very interesting members here :)

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
Freaking cool that Rio is working towards being a Therapy Bird! And what a handsome devil! Also cool that you did wolf work up north. :D

Give Murphy and Rio a scritch for us :D
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline silverwolfnykia

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Yes I did take them with me when I went up to Minnesota, I rented a cabin on one of the glacial lakes and enjoyed the small town of Ely. I am strongly considering moving there once I graduate in a few years! We also spent a week in Wisconsin on the Ojibwe reservation at balsam/turtle lake.

There is a county certification test that he has to pass here in Ohio that includes an aggression test, temperament test, and health exam. I have already taught him to give kisses, wave hello, turn in circles on command, play basketball and my favorite- he whispers "Love You" in his pionus voice. I am very thankful that I am graced with him because he really lights up my life! I would be crazy not to share it with people who need that kind of love in their lives as well.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 06:13:18 PM »
Your post warms my heart. Wonderful! :hbeat:

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »
I have always wanted to visit Ely MN - home of Steger Mukluks - the best outdoor footwear for cold snowy days

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
So wonderful of you to share your pi
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
Welcome back!
Rio is all grown up :]

I know, I cannot believe our babies are already two. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful and beautiful babies.

I would love to hear about your wolf works too :]

Offline silverwolfnykia

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
Cetan- Yes I did visit the Steger store it was pretty cool because my last name happens to be Steger, lol. I got a mug and a pair of Mukluks!

Kiwi- I spent time working with the wolf pack at the International Wolf Center doing behavioral observations of the new puppies addition to the pack. It was a dream come true, although I only got to briefly interact with the pups, and not the adults. I hope to graduate next year with a Fish and wildlife and Anthropology degree (I couldnt make up my mind lol). Hopefully I will return to the Ely area to help work with the public and educate about wolves.

Offline silverwolfnykia

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
Finally managed to catch my Blue Headed Pionus during one of his sweet whispering sessions. Is this not the cutest thing ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eVR8gaeOvWY

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
Oh, that certainly is the cutest thing, he is a doll!  :yes1: