Author Topic: My Pionus is attacking my husband :(  (Read 5369 times)

Offline kimspixie

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
My Pionus is attacking my husband :(
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:29 PM »
Hi all, I just found this forum today and was hoping to get some good advice on how to help my situation. My white capped pionus is female who is about 1.5 yrs old. I have had her since she was about 5mths. I got her from a nice breeder in IL. She is my first parrot.

Up to now she has been very suspicious of company when people visit which is not often. She will typically hang out on the hook at the top of her play gym that sits on her cage and watch them from a distance but I have never had her be aggressive toward them.

I have one child at home who is almost 13. She will go to him if he asks her and will tolerate him sitting on the couch nearby her cage or whatever without paying him any attention. It is obvious she doesn't prefer his company but doesn't attack so her new behavoir is truly baffling us.

She has always liked me best, she also adored my husband until the day before yesterday. She would waddle over to us on the couch, sit on our shoulders, whistle with us and get her head and neck scratches. Give kisses and all of that.

Well the day before yesterday my husband decided to shave his head bald. He has had it short before but decided to take it all off, now she can't stand him. He has tried to talk to her but she ignores him and stares. Whenever he passes by her cage she will lurch out to attempt to bite him.

She has been practically running across the couch to get to where he is when he sits down and flaps her wings, open beak to threaten him. If he ignores it and her she will lunge and try to bite him. She has gotten his head and his shoulder in the past day.

He has tried whistling and talking with her also but no change in her behavior. It seems to be all about getting to him to attack or threaten him. No time for her happy chirps or attempts at words. I have no idea where my sweet birdy has gone.

It is really making home life tense and I feel very guilty about putting her in her cage so much now. Every time she starts acting nasty I have been getting her and putting her up. Hoping she will get a clue as to why.

Any ideas? I mean she LOVED him 2 days ago but now he is the enemy because he has no hair :(

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
Re: My Pionus is attacking my husband :(
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »
They do not like change. I remember one female person saying she changed her nail polish color and it changed her bird. Changing our appearance does have an effect. They know and trust routine. Until his hair grows back to where it was, expect this.

Good luck.
Carla - BW

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »
Yes, yes, yes.  When I cut my hair from below the shoulders to a bob, my zon would not look at me, step up for me, or eat for 3 days. 

It will help if husband sings to your pi, brings the meals, and is the transportation to you on a regular basis.  Really pour it on, and things should ease up in less than a week.  Then cut back just a little, then a little more.  Never let the bond between husband and bird weaken, and it will be better for everyone. 

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »
Also, everyone gets bitten during these hard times. I just tell my family to get the bandaids out and suck it up.  The birds are non-negotiable.

Offline kimspixie

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:15 AM »
Thank you all who responded. It is nice to know we are not alone and it is a normal reaction. I will try the suggestions here and see how things progress. He likes his hair gone so I guess it will just be a slow build between the two of them again.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
I wonder if it would help if he wore a hat in the house so she wouldn't see his bald head.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
Might be worth a try...

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
Lurch will freak out over certain hoodies I wear, anything new he isn't used to seeing us in etc. He flew at and started to attack my sister who lives here when she walked in in a coat he'd never seen before. It appeared he didn't recognize her in it and thought a stranger had wandered in and went into attack parrot mode. He landed on her ready to shred then looked dazed when he suddenly recognized her and just sat there on her arm like what do I do now thankfully. They will have their moments even when they care for you so learn to read their moods. Like said they sometimes hate new things and change so be aware of that too.
Village Idiot

Offline kimspixie

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
he doesn't want to wear the hat, I thought of that. I know how moody she can be sometimes but it is usually over fast if I am watching her body language. She isn't new to us, I put a deposit down on her when she hatched and waited patiently for pictures and updates til she was finally big enough to wean and come to us March of last year.

What she is currently doing is completely new to anything we had seen her do previously. I mean even when company comes over she usually eyes them from her perch and just stays quiet and away. This whole attacking lurching thing is not like her. I mean she actually scuttles across the couch to get to him faster lol.

Today he was able to talk with her sweetly and get her to take a couple peanuts. She took them quickly and went right to her play top to eat it then came back down again to take another one. It is progress.

She even came past him very carefully to get to me and sit on my shoulder to hear her songs and tweet along. She loves "barbie girl by aqua" and "Mr. Sandman" . Especially the bum bum bum bum bummmms of the second one.

Of course on her return trip to her cage she lurched at him but when he whistled at her she just stopped being aggressive and went about her business. I think its just a time thing so he is going to take it slowly with her.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
My daughter's maxi comes out swinging every morning.  I have to get a dishtowel and play-fight with him.  Sometimes during the day, if he is bored, he comes flying at me and literally slams himself into my head.  He just hits me and keeps flying.  It is always unexpected, and I always shriek.  He then lands on the curtain rod and struts like nobody's business.  During these rowdy moods, he will slice me to the bone if I do not play with him.  He began all this around the age of two, maybe two and one-half. I am the only one he does this to, and he delights in his game.  He still treats me like he loves me the rest of the time, but he clearly is too much boy to contain himself.  By now we know his wild habits and what to do not to get bitten.   :EmoticonCatchHen:

Those who have docile or obedient birds will be appalled, but trying to control Dobby when he needs to wrestle and play would only make him fight more. I actually like the towel fights, except that all my dish towels have little bite holes in them. >:D

I think the whistling to distract her is a very good idea, maybe having a treat ready would help?

Offline kimspixie

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »
he sounds like a handful lol and yes I think the treat is a good idea thanks :)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
Nerd used to do the play fighting too and same thing, if you didn't know it was a game between us you'd think he was trying to kill me. He and I always did it in a very stylised way and he'd be mortified if I went OUCH!  :biglaughing:
Lurch tries sometimes but with his background I have to be carefull. It's hard to tell when he just wants to play and when he's really mad and he gets wound up and starts biting harder to so I have to grab his beak and stop him sometimes.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »
Seems they are like little kids on the playground who run by and push others down to get them to play.  Unfortunately, I'm the one who gets ambushed!  :bump:

Still, he is as full of personality as energy, and he is the baby of the family. Like Dartman says, you'd think he's trying to do damage, but he really just wants a good chase. :dog1:

Keep us posted, kimspixie!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Momazon - your description is a reminder of how individual birds are. Dobby hardly sounds like the typical description of a Maxi when one researches  birds
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
You are so right, Maxsmom, but I know the lady who has his sister.  She is even quieter than the usual description of a Maxi, as well as sweet and gentle.  The thing about Dob is that he really seems to think everything is a game, and then when he finds himself hanging upside down or cornered by another being, he does his baby dolphin noise.  He is such a baby!

I just hope kimspixie has the time and space to let her WC get used to the husband's new haircut.  I have heard that WC's can be pretty spunky and defensive, but maybe they can work out a playful routine or a caretaking routine where the bird will accept him.