Author Topic: Just received my first Blue Headed Pionus - feather question  (Read 3240 times)

Offline suzette

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Just received my first Blue Headed Pionus - feather question
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
I have just received my first Blue Headed Pionus.  It is five months old. It is so loving and already says a couple of words.  He is not afraid of anything and just so amiable.  Loves everyone.

He looks as if he is molting or has a bad feather day.  Is this normal for a 5 month old quaker?  He keeps picking at his feathers the way a bird does when he molts.  The guy I bought him from said it was just his feathers coming in.  He alrealdy has a lot of blue on his head.

Thanks for any advice.  I am sure I will be posting questions for a good while.  Thanks to everyone for your help.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Just received my first Blue Headed Pionus - feather question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new arrival!  Well, his feathers maybe tatered due to handling and/or depending on how the breeder was when hand feeding him.  Some hand feeders are sloppy with the formula so it does take a toll on feathers.  The Blue Head should have all his feathers in at 5 months old but sometimes they can do some molting by that age.   Can you post a photo of him? In your post above, you say a 5 month old Blue Head but then say a 5 month old Quaker ... ??
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline suzette

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:01:07 AM »
Hi Jan,

I am crazy.  I do have a blue headed pionus.  I was trying to choose between a pionus and Quaker but chose the pionus .  I am so glad I did.  He is such a sweetheart.  Little "Buddie". Looks as if he is molting.  He scratches a lot.  I will send pictures shortly.  My grand daughter is having to keep him for the first few days while I have to go on a short trip?
Any advice I should give her?  Thanks so much.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »

I gosh I don't know, does she know about birds?  Is the bird going to her place or staying there at your place? 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com