Author Topic: Cuddle time  (Read 2074 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Cuddle time
« on: November 22, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »
So Charlie had a visit to the vet for his annual exam. The whole process stresses him. He wheezes heavily just about whole time. My vet and the staff are great and they try to respect his boundaries while still ensuring a thorough exam. The vet even left the room a bit so Charlie could stop wheezing and calm down.

The best part about going to vet is Charlie wants cuddle time after vet visits. He wants to be on my shoulder getting lots of scritches. It is as if he finds this comforting after going through an ordeal. I love this short bonding time with Charlie and almost wish we went to vet more often. But I am glad he is healthy and frequent vet visits are not necessary.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Cuddle time
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
So sweet! It's nice to find our independent, hands-off male Pi's in a cuddly mood!  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
Thanks, I treasure him

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:27 PM »
Poor baby! Sounds like the vet is in tune with his feathered clients  :) 

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:58:17 PM »
The vet we use freaked out when Nerd bird started wheezing as they had never really seen a Maxi before but one of the techs had and informed them it was normal. He also would run up on my shoulder and hide behind my neck after a visit and it was nice to have him wanting me to comfort and protect him, which the vet who worked on him thought was sweet. She remembered him on his last visit as a sweet heart even though the first time he tried to take her finger off at first till I grabbed him and let him bite me instead.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:08:58 AM »
Two vets and receptionist have pionus at the place I go. They suggested I check out pionus in first place when I called to say I wanted another bird but not a cockatiel. I have found them to be very good at handling my birds who are not trained to vet procedures.....I need to work on this especially with Max. Max steps up for me and his sitter but he does not willingly go to vet. With Charlie I have to get him to a point of stepping up at all....essentially I allow him to walk and use ladders as it is less stressful for him....so handling at vet is an ordeal for him.