Author Topic: Hi! new member here!  (Read 75 times)

Offline mollysmom0822

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Hi! new member here!
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
I am a proud owner of a 10 year old Bronze-Winged Pionus named Molly! Glad to be part of the pionus club.  One of the reasons I wanted to hook up with other pionus owners is because I was wondering if anyone ever did any kind of study/research on the different vocal noises that pionus make (and if they all make the same noises/sounds or is it specific to one species of pionus, or maybe just that individual bird).
 For example, Molly makes a kind of raspberry noise, and we go back and forth making that noise to each other, and I guess it's a game. I wondered if anybody else's bird makes this noise? Also, sometimes she makes a 'cawing' sound almost like a crow. And of course, the loud scream, usually when she's sitting on my shoulder!! ^-^
Anyway, thanks for letting me join the club.. hope to meet some other pionus lovers..... Anita

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Hi! new member here!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
I got Nerd bird in 78 and pretty sure he was wild caught. He had a wicked loud jungle flock call and all kinds of wild Pionus noises. He left me in 09 so family found and helped me get Lurch, another Maxi Pionus. His noises were similar but he didn't know half the vocalizations Nerd did and his others were just similar. Lurch escaped in 2015 and I was given Dobby by Momazon when her life changed and she couldn't keep him. He goes bebeep like a finch, has some familiar Nerd like noises, and loves to whistle and talks a bit. Lurch talked a lot, Nerd only talked in the words of his people and we understood each other perfectly. I think they instinctively know something about noises they should make but get taught their language by the parents and the rest of their flock so it kinda varies. Nerd used to look at me with happy eyes and quietly go ERK! which was his way of saying everything was right with his world.
Village Idiot

Offline mollysmom0822

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Re: Hi! new member here!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
Hi Dartman! thanks for replying to my post! I am sorry for the loss of Nerdbird and Lurch. I know how hard it is to lose a baby...this is my first real parrot - I've had parakeets and cockatiels all my life (still do). I almost lost Molly myself, when she got out of the house. But luckily for me (after 4 horrific days of trying to get her back) I finally did catch her. She had the wherewithall to stay around the house and call out to me (with me calling back) that I eventually lured her down from the trees with some food.
Anyway, back to the vocalizations - that's true that they do have their "own" language. Molly doesn't say alot of words, but she she does have some vocabulary, and yes, she too says things that I think only another pionus would understand (lol)... sounds like she's muttering under her breath...
Say hi to Dobby from Molly...... Anita